Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions about Accommodations Registration

Under the Tourist Accommodations Act, accommodation operators that offer short-term accommodations of 28 days or less at one time must register with the Province each year. Registration is valid from April 1 - March 31. 

Read below for frequently asked questions about the accommodations registry.

Who has to register?

  • All operators of tourist accommodations that are fixed in place and available for rent to a person or party for a period of 28 days or less at one time. 
  • Campgrounds are not required to register unless they offer a fixed-roof accommodation on the property (like a cottage, cabin, yurt, bunk house, domes, motel, hotel, etc.) in which case those accommodations must be registered.
  • You do not have to register if you only provide long-term accommodations (like a year-to-year lease, month-to-month lease or exclusively for more than 28 days in a row).

Examples of short-term rentals that need to be registered include:

  • apartments, condos, houses and vacation homes
  • bed and breakfasts
  • cottages, cabins and tiny homes
  • dormitory-style rooms and hostels
  • hotels, motels and inns
  • resorts
  • rooms (including a room in a home)
  • self-contained secondary suites (like a basement apartment or a loft above a garage)
  • unusual lodgings (like yurts, domes and camping trailers)

What is the deadline to register?

  • Accommodations must register by April 1 each year. You must be registered prior to operating. Registration is valid for the fiscal year (April1 – March 31).
  • If you have registered in the previous year, you will receive an e-mail with renewal information. We also share when registration/renewals are open through our corporate website and newsletter.

Is there a cost to register?

  • Fees are based on the number of bedrooms you register at each civic address.  
    • 0-4 bedrooms: $50.00 per civic address
    • 5+ bedrooms: $150.00 per civic address

Where do I have to post my registration number?

  •  As of April 1, 2023, accommodations must  post a valid registration number on platform operator website listings (other than platforms that list only hotel or motel accommodations like For example, you need to post your registration number in listings on sites like Airbnb, Expedia, Vrbo, and 
  • Platforms will provide information about how to post your registration number.
  • You may also be asked to provide your registration number to apply for provincial tourism programs and marketing channels like
  • You do not need to post your registration at your accommodation.

What is considered an accommodation marketing platform?

  • Platforms are anyone who facilitates or brokers reservations for short-term, roofed accommodations payment or compensation (ie: collects a fee for bookings made through the site). 

Where do I register?

What do I do if I lose or forget my registration number?

Who do I contact if I am having technical difficulties with the registration form?

  • If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the registration system, please call Service Nova Scotia technical support at 1-800-670-4357 or 

How do I find out if I am compliant with municipal land-use by-laws?

  • Contact your municipality for information about municipal land-use by-laws. Compliance with land-use by-laws is a requirement to register with the Tourist Accommodations Registry.

Who do I contact if I have further questions about the Tourist Accommodations Registration Act/registry?